Join Bamboo U, a bamboo building course to learn how to build and design with bamboo. Follow a detailed curriculum, learn about the life cycle of bamboo buildings, from sustainable forestry to design and construction. Each topic is supported by both theoretical lectures and practical workshops. Learn from a team of academic lecturers and master builders. The course is about engaging with bamboo as a building material and immersing oneself both intellectually and kinesthetically to create a cohesive understanding of how to best apply bamboo to any context. Every course offers the opportunity to build full-scale structures and to develop design skills that will help inform your own personal design project.
PROMINENT FEATURES OF THE WORKSHOP/ SKILLS DEVELOPED
- Engaging with engineers, designers and scientists about the potentials and limitations of bamboo
- Hands-on experience building full scale bamboo structures
- Approaches to biophilic design and organic representations
- General engineering principles
- Bamboo forestry management and sustainable harvesting
- The art of traditional bamboo carpentry
- The evolution of bamboo architecture at Green School
- Visits to the IBUKU design office and bamboo factory
ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATIONS
The workshop is open to ages 18 +, and is tailored for people studying or working in the fields of design, architecture, engineering, construction, carpentry and for anyone inspired by bamboo and looking for ways to create a better world!